DEVILS OF THE FIELDS
Documentary, Italy, 2019, 13'30"
Toni Carta (1928-2014) spends his childhood and adolescence growing up in a peasant family. His fascination by the rhythms and colors of rural life will lead him to tell images and symbols of it through his main vocation: painting.
From the age of 16 he works as a labourer at the Officine Grandi Riparazioni, the pillar of Ferrovieri, a district of Vicenza.
The suspended characters that pass through his paintings accompany us on a journey that narrates us about the sunset of the rural culture. The quiet countryside village Contra' Riva Alta will become I Ferrovieri, a bustling working-class suburb son of the capitalist industrial society.
Production: Marina Resta and Giulio Todescan for LIES – Laboratorio dell’inchiesta economica e sociale
AWARDS AND SCREENINGS:
- Special Prize for the Artist, Arte Non Stop Film Festival, Buenos Aires 2020
- First Prize Best Production, Arte Non Stop Film Festival, Buenos Aires 2020
- First Prize Best Medium Length Film, Arte Non Stop Film Festival, Buenos Aires 2020
- 'Work in Progress', Screening at Working Title Film Festival 4, Vicenza 2019
- 'Lavoro fragile. Pratiche resistenti', Screening at Mare Culturale Urbano, Milan 2019
- 'Working Title Film Festival @ Ferrovieri', Screening at Centro Sociale Bocciodromo, Vicenza 2019